As you all know our house caught on fire and burned last week and we are now staying in a hotel until we can find a temporary home. I have been feeling depressed lately and haven’t been baking much, however this morning I decide to get out my funky mood and utilize our hotel kitchen and bake some donuts. Furthermore, I thought why not red velvet donuts with an egg nog/white chocolate glaze! YUM! This recipe calls for only half a dozen donuts in your donut bake pan.
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled (can also use melted butter)
- 2 tablespoons of non-fat plain Greek yogurt (for moistness! you can also use sour cream like I did)
- ½ tablespoon of oil (I used canola oil but you can also use vegetable or olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring (depending on how red you want the donuts)
If you do not have a donut pan invest in one IMMEDIATELY! Michael’s happened to be having a sale where they had 50% off one item so I bought this donut pan and other baking goods! Original price is $9.99 but after my discount just paid $5 and some change for it! Not bad!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly spray donut pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.
- In a liquid measuring cup, pour in the buttermilk and whisk in egg, melted coconut oil, Greek yogurt or sour cream, vanilla extract, distilled vinegar and oil.
- Add the liquids to the flour mixture stirring with a rubber spatula until just combined. (I used my hand mixer on low)
- Add red food coloring a little bit at a time while stirring until desired color has been reached.
- Using a small spoon fill each donut pan about ⅔ of the way full or you can transfer the donut batter to a ziplock or pastry bag and squeeze in. (I used a spoon)
8. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and cool in pan for 5 minutes before moving to wire rack to cool completely before adding glaze.
For the glaze I used the Eggnog Ghirardelli Chocolate melted in the microwave and just dipped my donuts in the melted chocolate for the glaze! It was soooo good!