Since we’re talking about doughnuts here
What’s better than one doughnut recipe? How about two?
So here’s another throwback doughnut recipe to celebrate the National Holiday DOUGHNUT DAY!
Vanilla Bean Peppermint Doughnuts
- Cake Flour – 2 cups – 200g – 473ml
- Granulated Sugar – 3/4 cup – 108g – 175ml –
- Baking Powder – 2 teaspoon – 9g – 15ml
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon – 3g
- Buttermilk – 3/4 cup – 6.5oz
- Pure Peppermint Extract – 1-2 teaspoon
- Eggs lightly beaten – 2 large eggs
- Butter (melted) – 2 tablespoons – 30 ml
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – 1/4 cup – 3oz – 50ml
- Seeds from one Vanilla Bean
- Gel Paste Food coloring (red & white)
Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray doughnut pan with nonstick cooking spray. In large mixing bowl, sift together all cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add buttermilk, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, peppermint extract, vanilla seeds and butter and beat until just combined. I divided the batter into 2 bowls and colored them with food coloring gels, soft pink & white (couldn’t find my red I seriously need to get organized). I used a spoon to pour each colored batter into separate small sandwich bags and cut a small hole from the corners. Just alternate between piping the red and white batter. Bake 4-8 minutes or until the top of the donuts spring back when touched. Let cool in pan for 4–5 minutes before removing.
I finished the donuts with a glaze simply made of unsweetened almond milk, powdered sugar, and a little melted butter and vanilla extract. I also chopped and roasted some pecans (I poured a bit of pure honey over them before I roasted them). Dip the donuts in the glaze and pour the pecans over the donuts followed by another coat of the glaze!