Here in the U.S. we will be celebrating Thanksgiving next week and a lot of us will be in the kitchen getting the meal and desserts prepared.
I decided to share a great apple crumb recipe with you all. I make it every year for Thanksgiving & Christmas and it is one of my family’s favorite desserts. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 lbs of apples of your choice (peeled & cored) I used Granny Smith
- Granulated Sugar – 9 oz. – 1 1/2 cups
- Lemon Juice – 1 tablespoon – .05 fl oz.
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tablespoon – .05 fl oz.
- All purpose flour – 1 oz. – 3 1/2 Tablespoon
- Ground Cinnamon – 0.3 oz – 1 1/2 Tablespoon
- Unsalted butter, diced – 2 oz. (approximately 1/2 stick of butter)
- Simple Pie Dough recipe (or store bought if you do not want to make your own dough. I personally always do so much better tasting and flavorful)
Roll out pie dough into a circle 1/8 inch thick and line with a 9-inch pie pan with the dough. Set aside. (I made my pie dough with grounded hazelnuts soooo good)
Cut the apples into wedges and toss into a large bowl with the sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Sift together the flour and cinnamon. Stir the mixture into the apples.
Fill your pie dough crust with the apple filling. Dot with butter (a good tip is to shred some butter over the pie filling before topping with streusel & going in oven). Sprinkle a streusel topping and bake the pie at 375 degrees F (190C). Bake until the filling starts to bubble at the top (depends on your oven but anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half)
Now go enjoy yourself some nice warm Apple Crumble pie! Mmmm.