Who loves to bake cake?
I wanted to share a recipe that wasn’t complicated and something you guys could easily follow and didn’t have to buy too many ingredients. It’s a simple crumble cake that takes little time and effort and taste delicious!
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1 1/2 cups AP (All Purpose) Flour
- 1/4 cup (1 stick of butter) melted
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup oats (optional)
- nutmeg (optional)
**MIX ALL TOGETHER IN A BOWL AND USE A FORK OR USE A BLENDER UNTIL ALL WELL COMBINED
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup milk (I used Vanilla Almond Milk)
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen berries (I used blueberries & blackberries. Any berries will do)
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
This recipe can be used with any berries of your choice. For me I love blueberries and always keep them frozen in the freezer (for smoothies) so I decided to use blueberries and blackberries for my cake (if using frozen berries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter).
I had decided to use Vanilla Almond milk because I almost always do when a baking recipe calls for milk (it’s so yummy). Almond milk works fine in any recipe calling for plain milk, though one thing to keep in mind is that it’s very low in fat, so won’t offer the same richness as whole or 2% in baked goods. But use whatever you’d like!
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Grease a 9 inch baking pan. (I always use shortening but you can you baking spray, butter, flour etc.)
- Make the crumble and set aside.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs, and vanilla extract (or vanilla bean. Split open scraping the seeds and discard the pod). Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter & sugar together.
- Slowly add egg/milk mixture. Incorporate well.
- Slowly add the flour mixture.
- Fold in the berries with a spatula.
- Pour batter into a greased/buttered baking dish.
- Add the crumble mixture on top.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool for 15-20 minutes and serve
You can also add chopped nuts to the crumble mixture on top if you like a bit of a crunch! Of course like any other recipe you can adjust and revise the ingredients to your own liking!